Monday, March 5, 2012

Stream of Consciousness

Today while writing my Morning Pages for The Artist's Way, I noticed something interesting happening. I can't say it's the first time it's happened, but it's the first time I really took note, with pause, and then truly allowed it to come forth.

My inner child/artist, the girl I've named Sophia, started speaking to me. I guess you can say I was cheering myself on, lifting myself up. But something about choosing to allow this to come forth, these words, this encouragement, felt like something more... powerful. I've had this happen repeatedly with my inner critic, Maude, who I've given a name for the same reason: clarity. And while, at times, I let her speak, I often just smirk at her insults. Hopefully.

Sophia's words to me this morning:

"I see beauty everywhere and it is constantly reflected upon you. Embrace this. 'You is smart, you is kind...' you is wonderful. Don't ever let another human being's actions tell you any different. I can keep going if you wish. But I want you to sit with this. Really sit with this. Sprinkle these words atop your oatmeal and devour them."

I thought this was so beautiful. It's a vulnerable thing for me to share. Maybe you think it's strange, or maybe you really get where this comes from. I hope, the vulnerable me hopes, for the latter.

5 comments:

  1. Keep Sophia's words close to your heart and ruminate with them. I do believe she is on to something. She's very wise!

    And by the way, I love that you've given your critic & true inner self names. I belive that would help differentiate between the words to take to heart & the ones to hear but leave behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Cristen said, I love that you've given names to your inner folks!

    Sophia's words are brilliant & I bet Maude has good things to share, too - once she gets past fear (I'm thinking of inner voices as the guests in Rumi's poem The Guest House).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Cristen and Karen. It was through The Artist's Way that I came to name these voices. I highly recommend this journey for any who may be even slightly called to it!

    If you click on the link on Sophia, it will take you to an earlier post describing how and why I chose these names, and how I feel about them.

    I enjoy it, because it is not just true, but a playful way to approach some of the not so fun parts of my mind, the human mind.

    Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sera, that is a beautiful thing to hear ... So thrilled to be journeying the Way together <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Julie. It is so powerful to enjoy this journey along with someone, even if you aren't sharing every detail. But just that knowing is lovely. I totally agree. xo

    ReplyDelete